DR. ELIZABETH WHEELER
Founder/Doctor of Physical Therapy
Dr. Wheeler is a physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine. Dr. Wheeler helps athletes with injury rehabilitation, injury prevention and techniques to enhance their personal performance. Her commitment to helping patients achieve their personal best includes knowledge of disciplines that are expansive and not in the typical range of protocol for physical therapists. She considers advanced knowledge from a diversity of topics (such as nutrition, neuroscience, and postural restoration) as important components in helping athletes gain competence in “how to most effectively and efficiently operate their own finely tuned machine.”
Dr. Elizabeth Wheeler is recognized as a TOP Physical Therapist throughout the Montgomery County, Maryland region and is featured as a Medical Expert on the TOP Doctors Interviews which are seen on CNN Headline News, FOX News, CNBC, ESPN and other networks.
- Relates: through the profound personal experience of her own injuries.
- Understands: the importance of participating and excelling in sport and in life.
- Seeks: new discoveries in science and sports medicine.
- Dedicates: herself to teaching and empowering others.
- Believes: in the pursuit of dreams.
Raised in Colorado, where she gained a deep appreciation for the mountains and outdoor activities, Dr. Liz is an athlete at heart. She chose her field after significant back injuries almost ended her sports career and the hope for a college scholarship. She notes, “I was fortunate enough to have physical therapists who didn’t just stick to protocol when it wasn’t working. Trying some new and unique techniques helped me get back to volleyball and to my life. I knew right then that I wanted to pursue a career in physical therapy to help athletes achieve their dreams without hesitation or anxiety from injury, too.”
Today, Dr. Liz brings her unique experience treating many different levels of athletes to a practice based in Washington, DC. From the fields of the NFL, MLB and Women’s Professional Soccer to the track of the Penn Relays, her unique group of patients is diverse but share a common goal: to be in the game performing at their best. Dr. Liz has served as Team Physical Therapist for MLB’s Washington Nationals, the Maryland Stingers women’s rugby team and also serves as the Head Physical Therapist for The Running School in New York. She has recently been named Advisor to the National Strength Professionals Association (NSPA).
Dr. Wheeler received her DPT from the College of St. Catherine in Minneapolis and vigorously pursues advanced education with the Postural Restoration Institute in Lincoln, Nebraska. She is an engaging speaker and consultant on a variety of topics regarding athletic performance including the Female Athlete Triad, Nutrition, Weight Management, and Postural Restoration in Sports.
- Owner, President of Launch Sport Performance
- Team Physical Therapist for the Washington Nationals Baseball Club, MLB, 2009
- Team Physical Therapist for the Maryland Stingers Women’s Rugby Team
- Touring Physical Therapist for 700 Sundays Theatre Show
- Staff Physical Therapist for Nike Track & Field Events, 2008 – current
- Head Physical Therapist for The Reebok Running School in New York
- Staff Physical Therapist, Precision Health & Fitness in Bethesda, MD
- Physical Therapist for the 2010 Under Armour Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL
- Staff Physical Therapist, National Rehabilitation Hospital in Chevy Chase, MD
Sports & Athletic Performance
- Professional Baseball Athletic Trainer’s Association Annual Medical Conference 2009
- Shoulder Sports Medicine Symposium (Baltimore, Union Memorial Sports Medicine)
- Hamstring Flexibility ”“ Is It Right for Everyone?
- Differential Diagnosis and Treatment of Anterior Knee Pain
- Advanced Integration
- Myokinematic Restoration
- Postural Respiration
- Cervical-Cranio-Mandibular Restoration
- Impingement & Instability
- Graston Technique (Module I)
- Principles of Manual Medicine I (Michigan State)
- Comprehensive Treatment of the Foot and Ankle (Great Lakes Seminars)
Additional Courses Attended
- Ethical Issues Prominent in PT Practice
- Emerging Technologies in Spinal Surgery: A Review of Current Treatment Methods
- Evaluation and Treatment of Cervicogenic Headaches
- Chronic Ankle Pain: Surgical Options
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement; the Two Incision Approach
- Legal and Ethical Implications of Autonomous Practice
- An Introduction to Tai Chi Chuan: Theory, Research and Therapeutic Applications